Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fingernail

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
While people are rightfully interested in hardware announcements for WWDC 2024, I'd like to know what developers would like to see unveiled.

For myself, Apple's virtualization framework does not support signing into iCloud in virtualized machines. That means using a VM to do mac development is not as full-featured as using actual hardware, but having your development environment isolated from your everyday work environment is useful - your company might enforce automatic OS updates, but as a developer I might prefer to stay on a stable version of macOS (and Xcode, since the two often update in lockstep).

To get around this, Apple could allow registered developers access to VM-only AppleID accounts for testing to get around this. A developer "appledev@somedomian.com" could automatically have access to an AppleID account for VMs "appledev.vm@icloud.com", say.

What would you like to see added or improved in the developer tools, documentation or developer workflow?

Fingernail

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
It looks as if virtualization on macOS X Sequoia has added the ability to use Apple ID. I have to go try it out...

Nope, it's supposed to be there but doesn't work in the current beta. it's a known issue.

In addition, M3 devices support nested virtualization - running a VM inside a VM. As much as I would like an excuse to buy an M3 mac, it's not a good idea with M4 macs likely around the corner.

Last edited:

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003

I'd love for this to be expanded to more languages like C/C++, Python and Java.

Fingernail

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
I'd expect C/C++ to be added first, given that they talked about C/C++ integration with Swift. Python and Java don't seem as certain, but Python is big in ML so that would be a likely second language.
Of course, this is all speculation more informed by my gut feelings instead of any actual information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.