Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Hi.

I am considering buying a Thunderbolt enclosure and an NVMe SSD that I want to use with my Mac Mini (2018) which was born with only 256GB. But is there any way to make the built-in SSD of 256GB only work as space for the system itself and so the external SSD will be the one that contains all my files? I am well aware that I can just transfer the files to the external SSD, but is it possible to make it so that, for example, when I leave something on the desktop or elsewhere, it is the external SSD the data is saved on?

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
You can do this by making your external drive the start up with both your system and your files on it. In that case whatever is on your desktop will be saved to your external drive and your internal drive will be free to use as a spare drive for whatever else you wish to use it for.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
You can do this by making your external drive the start up with both your system and your files on it. In that case whatever is on your desktop will be saved to your external drive and your internal drive will be free to use as a spare drive for whatever else you wish to use it for.
I know I can change the start up disk, but I want to separate the OS from the files? So that MacOS is running on the internal SSD but everything else is on the external SSD.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I know I can change the start up disk, but I want to separate the OS from the files? So that MacOS is running on the internal SSD but everything else is on the external SSD.
It is possible to move your user "Home" folder from internal storage to external storage, although it is not recommended. It is an error prone and cumbersome process best left to advanced Unix-capable users, especially if troubleshooting is required. Here is one such link describing the process but there are many if you Google search -

I recommend you boot from the larger external storage as @eldho suggested. Much easier and very straight forward. No fuss, no muss.. especially if your Mac mini is stationary. I do recommend you find an external enclosure which supports its own power supply. Nothing worse than your boot disk relying on inconsistent bus power.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Tell us WHICH files you want to move to the external.

You can boot and run from an external drive, but unless it's thunderbolt, the Mini's internal SSD will be about 3x as fast (at least).

My advice:
Mini internal drive should contain:
- OS
- Applications
- Home folder (basic)
- not really much else
- if you create music or movies, keep your "working files" on the internal drive, but MOVE OFF completed projects to the external drive.

External SSD should contain:
- large libraries (such as for Music/iTunes, Photos (if you use it), Movies, etc.
- your other personal data

My Mini(s) -- both my earlier 2012 and my current 2018 -- have the internal 512gb SSD "split" into FOUR partitions:
- Boot (OS, apps, home folders)
- Main (overwhelming share of "main data" files)
- Media (movies and photos)
- Music

I back them all up individually and things have worked fine for me doing this for many years now (with earlier Macs as well).

You will quickly master having more than one drive icon on the desktop.
I normally have four.
Sometimes 7 or 8.
No problems.

Reactions: Bigwaff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.