Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dell is looking to take head-on Apple's $4,999 Pro Display XDR with a new 32-inch 6K UltraSharp display that has a built-in 4K webcam, a variety of ports, and an included stand that rotates, swivels, tilts, and more.

dell-6k-inch-display.jpg

The new "game changer" display was announced this week as part of CES and is the world's first 6K display with IPS Black panel technology, according to Dell. With the new IPS panel, the 32-inch 6K UltraSharp delivers "high contrast and deeper blacks." In actual specs, the display is 6,133 by 3,456 pixels with 223 PPI (pixels-per-inch), slightly higher than Apple's Pro Display XDR. The Pro Display XDR is 6,016 by 3,384 pixels with 218 PPI (pixels-per-inch).

On the back of Dell's 32-inch 6K UltraSharp display, there are a variety of ports, including Thunderbolt 4 with up to 140W of power delivery, USB-A, ethernet, HDMI, and DP 2.1. On the front of the display, there is also access to two USB-C and one USB-A port through a pop-out compartment, providing quicker access to connect accessories and peripherals.

Unlike the Pro Display XDR which does not come with a stand, Dell's display has a built-in stand that can swivel, tilt, rotate, and move the display higher or lower depending on user preference. The display also has a built-in 4K webcam that uses AI to improve image quality and keep users in the frame during video calls.

Dell says the display will be available later this year and has not provided any pricing details for the display. Apple's Pro Display XDR costs $4,999 for the standard texture version and $5,999 for the nano-texture version. The Pro Display XDR's stand must be purchased separately for $999.

At CES this week, Samsung also revealed a 27-inch 5K display that will compete with Apple's Studio Display.

Article Link: CES 2023: Dell Looks to Take on Apple's Pro Display XDR With New 32-Inch 6K Display That Has a Built-In 4K Webcam and Included Stand

Last edited:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
HDR 600? Not bad at all. Though if you’re going to need a 6K display then surely you’d want a more advanced contrast ratio.

But all competition is good!

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
It is peaking at 600 nits meaning it has no HDR to speak of, aka Studio Display tier. Not necessarily bad to still be SDR but kind of odd to not include HDR as well when the rest of the specs are already this high.
If you are a professional, HDR in a monitor is only really useful for TV show and movie production. And if you do work in movie/TV production, you'd probably want something better that an mini-LED monitor that only has a few hundred dimming zones.
I'd rather see a cheaper device than a clone of Apple's XDR display.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
I reckon there’s a possibility that the webcam will ‘slot’ onto the top bezel and be removable.

But you’re still left with that too bezel/forehead 😭😭

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
This could be the affordable monitor with all the ports (incl ethernet) that I've been wishing for all these years, but I'd have to chop off that awful webcam. All those pixels and 2.5G ethernet does make it tempting. I use very dim settings so the lack of nits is no issue.

In any case it's great that others are pushing Apple to do better. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the rumoured new screen is actually a big iMac. After all the ASD was rumoured to be an iMac 🤷 so who knows...

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
If you are a professional, HDR in a monitor is only really useful for TV show and movie production. And if you do work in movie/TV production, you'd probably want something better that an mini-LED monitor that only has a few hundred dimming zones.
I'd rather see a cheaper device than a clone of Apple's XDR display.
True, if sticking at 60Hz and only SDR but provides good out of the box calibration and uniformity then it will make a great all round display, probably good enough for most design work except color critical roles.

But depending on how they price the product, I can see some consumer-side users not happy to see no HDR (even a lousy one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.