Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Usually I keep an iPad about five years before upgrading. But this time around I chose to try upgrading sooner—I traded in my iPad Air 5 64gb for a new iPad Air 6 13in. 128gb.

Why? I was perfectly satisfied with my Air 5. With the M1 processor it was snappy and did everything I asked of it. If I had a complaint it’s I felt the battery life was disappointing. The battery life of the M series chips seen in MacBooks doesn’t seem to have translated to the iPads. At least thats been my experience. Anyway when I bought the Air 5 I had also been considering the iPad Pro, but I couldn’t justify the added expense for what I used an iPad for. Of course, a 12.9 iPad Pro was particularly out of the question—I loved the idea of the bigger display, but not at that price for what I needed from an iPad.

Then the iPad Air 13 was announced and that piqued my interest. A big screen iPad without the big screen Pro price. So after a lot of thought I decided to go for it. I ordered a blue iPad Air 128gb 13in and traded in my 1-1/2 year old iPad Air 5. I did this through work where I got $308 CAD for trade-in on top of 15 percent off promotion for staff purchase. It was a good deal.

I’ve had the new Air 13 for only a few hours, but I do have initial impressions already compared to my previous Air 5.

For it’s size this 13in. (12.9in. actually) feels rather light. Then again I haven’t put it in a case yet which I find adds noticeable weight to handling any iPad. The larger display is indeed nice, and somehow I feel I’m seeing more detail, more contrast and richer colour than before. It’s not radically different, but it feels noticeably different. Yet I wonder if it’s mostly a false perception because I don’t have the two iPads, old and new, side-by-side. Of course, it’s not impossible a larger screen will just naturally allow you to see more given the new 12.9 screen is about 1.4 times greater in display area than the 10.9 screen of the Air 5. The text on websites is also noticeably larger which is welcome news for my aging eyes. The bigger display also allows for even more of a desktop view of websites which I appreciate as I generally dislike the mobile versions of websites you get with a smartphone.

In terms of overall performance this M2 iPad Air seems a touch snappier than the M1 Air, but it’s not much different. I cannot yet comment on battery life.

But the one thing I find very noticeable is the quality of the audio. The audio on my iPad 13 is noticeably richer and deeper. I hear and feel more. I had no real complaint with my previous iPad, but the sound on the new one is unquestionably better—video audio and music are definitely fuller.

At any rate those are my initial impressions.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Good for you. BTW not a lot of ipad air posts here. I just ordered the 11 inch in starlight color. The basic model. I decided to spring for apple care. I have a mini six and its a bit old. I am going to give the mini to a friend. My 11 inch comes in two days. I will post in this thread when I get it.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Good for you. BTW not a lot of ipad air posts here. I just ordered the 11 inch in starlight color. The basic model. I decided to spring for apple care. I have a mini six and its a bit old. I am going to give the mini to a friend. My 11 inch comes in two days. I will post in this thread when I get it.
I was initially considering the base M4 11", but now I'm gearing toward the base M2 Air 11", mainly because I don't use the iPad to watch movies/shows or do anything artistic and hence it's hard to justify the purchase of the Pro just because of the OLED screen.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I just upgraded from a 2nd gen 12.9” Pro to a 13” M2 Air and despite going from Pro to Air it’s definitely an upgrade. It’s faster and lighter, and the accessories—Magic Keyboard and Pencil Pro—are so much better.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I GOT my gift card from them today. $100 for the next iPad in 2-3 years. I ordered glass protector and case on amazon.

The iPad arrives on Tues the 2nd

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I’ve had this Air 13in. for only two days and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would—I mean, it’s just a bigger iPad, right? But the bigger display is a pleasure for what I use the device for.

Now, I’m not someone to carry my iPad everywhere. It usually stays at home so I don’t need it to be a comfortable/convenient size to tote around everywhere outside of the house. This is a similar situation people face when deciding what size laptop would suit their needs. A 13-14in. laptop is ideal for needing an on-the-go computer. But if your laptop rarely, if ever, leaves the house then a 15in. will work for you while allowing you to enjoy a bigger display. Now newer lightweight 15in. laptops, like the MacBook 15, could allow people to have an option for an on-the-go computer without giving up a bigger display. The thinner and lighter M4 iPro 12.9 might now offer users that option as well.

While it’s still very early on my general impression is the battery life on this M2 Air, even with the bigger display, seems to be doing better than my previous M1 Air with the 10.9 in. screen, but still nowhere near how well the batteries last in the MacBooks. Pity because that would really be something to get 15-20 hours on an iPad.

Last edited:

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I upgraded from a base gen 5 (2017) to a new 13” Air with 128gb. I’ve already taken it on a trip to Europe (my favorite use of an iPad is on planes and as a jukebox in Airbnbs and such).

The screen quality and size, speakers, speed, and battery life (because the previous one was so old) are all a big leap so of course I’m thrilled with it.

This is the case I got for it. I love the way it attaches magnetically (old iPads didn’t do that, AFAIK).

ESR for iPad Air 13 Inch Case M2(2024), iPad Pro 12.9 Case (2022/2021, 6th/5th Gen), Powerful Magnetic Attachment, Slim Trifold Stand Case, Supports Pencil Pro and Pencil(USB-C), Rebound Series, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRHJX94..._r_ud_dp_SJHNN6J1BK42WED4EVBZ&skipTwisterOG=1

My one gripe involves Touch ID and this case. It seems to interfere a bit with my finger because the edge of the case is right next to the button so I’m using a passcode a lot more than with the old home button Touch ID. Need to address that eventually.

Edit to add if you’re buying an Air, just get the 13” unless your specific use case doesn’t support it. You’re unlikely to regret it. Bigger screens are almost always better (except phones, different conversation).

Last edited:
Reactions: Warped9

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
…if you’re buying an Air, just get the 13” unless your specific use case doesn’t support it. You’re unlikely to regret it. Bigger screens are almost always better (except phones, different conversation).
Some years ago tried an iPad Mini. I can’t recall what my rationalization was at the time. I kept it for about a year or so then went back to a larger screen. It was just too small for something I rarely take out of the house.

Yes, I’m finding the bigger screen more enjoyable and nicer all atound.

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
London
Thanks, all very interesting.

I think the 13" ipad air will significantly dent large ipad pro sales, since many folk will be just looking for the size.

I also think that the "upgrades" of the latest pro over the air are not useful for 99% of people. Sure, the OLED screen is nice, but the IPS one is excellent. Unless you are doing intense processing, such as video, most people will not notice any difference between the M2 and the M4. The one thing I would say about the Air is that lack of face recognition security I find quite disappointing. It is so much more convenient. I am sure Apple could add this to the Air through software if they wanted to.

Otherwise I think the new air is fantastic, particularly the 13" version. I am waiting for mine to be delivered today or tomorrow.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
So i got the basic 11 inch. I surf the net and watch some videos. well worth the purchase. The optimum fiber optics is giving me about 725 download and 690 upload. Speeds I simply do not need one bit. 200 down and 50 up was more than enough. In the case it weigh a bit more than the ipad mini 6 so it is not a hardship to surf the net at night.

I got a 14.6 inch not 13 inch samsung s9 ultra which is a bit to big to use at night laying in bed. It gives me a strong combo of android and ios tablets. i dont have a use case for the pro ipad. so I will use this ipad a lot.
I will no long use the mini size as I am older and the keyboard is a bit too small on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: colonelbutt

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
London
So i got the basic 11 inch. I surf the net and watch some videos. well worth the purchase. The optimum fiber optics is giving me about 725 download and 690 upload. Speeds I simply do not need one bit. 200 down and 50 up was more than enough. In the case it weigh a bit more than the ipad mini 6 so it is not a hardship to surf the net at night.

I got a 13 inch samsung s9 ultra which is a bit to big to use at night laying in bed. It gives me a strong combo of android and ios tablets. i dont have a use case for the pro ipad. so I will use this ipad a lot.
I will no long use the mini size as I am older and the keyboard is a bit too small on it.
The S9 ultra is 14.6”

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
New very annoying thing on my iPad, but it’s not the iPad. The Weather Channel updated their app for iPad and it stinks. Two thirds of the screen is now taken up by a radar map I cannot minimize, hide or remove. The app is still fine on my iPhone.

If I can’t fix this I’ll delete TWC app and use something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.