Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today announced the launch of the new Belkin Soundform Connect Audio Adapter with AirPlay 2 support, which is designed to turn any traditional stereo speaker into an AirPlay 2-enabled speaker.

belkin-soundform-connect.jpg

The Soundform Connect can be connected to any powered speaker or sound system using an optical or 3.5mm headphone jack. A speaker connected to the Soundform Connect can be used like any standard AirPlay 2 speaker for AirPlaying audio, with all of the AirPlay 2 features available.

Those with traditional speakers can use the Soundform Connect to gain multi-room audio with other AirPlay 2 speakers, and can use Siri to do things like control the volume. Speakers connected to the Soundform Connect are HomeKit-enabled, viewable in the Home app, and able to be used in scenes and automations.

Belkin says that the Soundform Connect is compatible with any existing powered speaker or receiver that accepts optical or 3.5mm input.

The Soundform Connect Audio Adapter can be purchased from the Belkin website for $99.99.

Article Link: Belkin Launches Soundform Connect Audio Adapter to Add AirPlay 2 to Standard Speakers

Last edited:
Reactions: Solomani

kakgungor

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Canada
I’m assuming the answer to this is no, but does this have an Ethernet port or does it rely on Wi-Fi?

Edit: confirmed that it does not have Ethernet ? so this is not the holy grail AirportExpress replacement I’ve been waiting for.

Last edited:

consumerDan

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Georgia
So if I wanted to install in ceiling speakers in different rooms is there any in ceiling speaker solution that I could use this with? Obviously most in ceiling/wall speakers have to be powered by an amplifier, but trying to see how to implement a multi room audio solution that utilizes AirPlay 2 without a bunch of amps everywhere for individual AirPlay 2 endpoints...

Suggestions?

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
Belkin can have my money, I've been waiting for something like this. Right now I have ATV4K → TV → HDMI return → Stereo which means if I want to listen to music from my iTunes library, or stream anything via AirPlay, I have to have the TV on. I can use the optical connector on this device and go straight into the stereo and then tell my desktop Mac to AirPlay to it and get music without the TV on. The other solution would be a lot more expensive, and that would be to update the stereo to support 4K HDMI (with all the bells and whistles) passthru, and have all my inputs feed into the stereo.

I can also use one to feed into the outside deck sound system, which currently is based on an ancient Airport Express that I can't even reconfigure any more.

A question that comes to mind: if I tell Homekit it's in the Living Room, but the ATV is in the Living Room, will Siri lose her mind if I say to adjust the volume in the Living Room? Will I have to refer by device instead of room?

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I use shairpoint-sync for airplay on raspberry pi zeros for this in general. No support for A2 yet, but I know it's progressing, rather just wait than spend a few hundred dollars to replace my rPis with this

Reactions: biffuz

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
airplay 2 multiroom audio has only ever worked for me with multiple HomePods. if I tie my home theater into it the audio is always out of sync

works fine for me. but then again, all of my devices are from the same manufacturer. (Sonos)

Reactions: Jefferyd32

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
This seems like a nice product, overpriced for a bare adapter, but no competition so…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.