Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edulterado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
I have replaced the original battery on my MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 2.8GHz iGPU (macbookpro11,4). The manual process I went trough was more straightforward and cleaner than I had expected: in my case, the adhesive was easily removed by applying a small quantity of a soft dissolvent with a syringe (2ml isopropyl alcohol) and a twine thread I had in the kitchen for cooking beef rolls. I couldn't be happier with the results.

The new battery is working like a charm. However, manufacture date and battery temperature, as it can be read with Sensei, Coconutbattery or Aldente, are not shown correctly. The data reported seems to be same of the old battery, so that I tried to clear SMC settings.

First thing I tried was a SMC and PRAM reset. It didn't work. Later I disconnected the battery and pressed and held the power button for a good 15 secs. Then I plugged-in MagSafe charger and restarted the system. I did this in two different ways: firstly, by holding the power button while connecting the charger during 10 secs more, and secondly, by releasing it after connecting the charger. In both cases the booting process got stuck in a loop: Apple logo and progress bar appear, but it re-starts after a while.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
So long as the battery charges properly, and the proper "charge amount" is shown in the menu bar, I wouldn't worry about the manufacture date or even the temperature.

If it works... use it.

Reactions: edulterado

edulterado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
So long as the battery charges properly, and the proper "charge amount" is shown in the menu bar, I wouldn't worry about the manufacture date or even the temperature.

If it works... use it.
Sure, that was also my first thought. Yet I'd like to prevent the battery from charging when its temperature is above 35º, which I can do with Aldente. The temperature now is at 26,3º (forever)...

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The new battery is working like a charm. However, manufacture date and battery temperature, as it can be read with Sensei, Coconutbattery or Aldente, are not shown correctly. The data reported seems to be same of the old battery,
From where did you source the new battery? Make and specs?

Apathist

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
The data reported seems to be same of the old battery ...

If it's not an issue with the battery itself, as Bigwaff suggests, you might try completely re-installing coconutBattery or one of the other battery apps. Perhaps they're simply retaining legacy data and preventing further updates.

I had something similar happen with coconutBattery's history when I migrated it from one MacBook to another. The app retained the old machine's history and refused to log data for the new battery.

OTOH, it seems unlikely that 3 different apps would exhibit the same unexpected behavior. But maybe worth a try.

edulterado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
From where did you source the new battery? Make and specs?

Source: UK seller from eBay —It claimed to be OEM, I didn't relied too much on that though.

Manufactured by Simplo. There seems to be a discrepancy in the specs: design capacity is 8755mAh, as reported in Coconutbattery, whereas full charge capacity is 9203mAh... which likely suggests that battery chips may have been manipulated.

This is my first time installing a new battery on a MacBook Pro mid 2015.
So, there is no need to do any extra tweak for the new battery to show manufacture date and temperature?

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 22

edulterado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
If it's not an issue with the battery itself, as Bigwaff suggests, you might try completely re-installing coconutBattery or one of the other battery apps. Perhaps they're simply retaining legacy data and preventing further updates.

I had something similar happen with coconutBattery's history when I migrated it from one MacBook to another. The app retained the old machine's history and refused to log data for the new battery.

OTOH, it seems unlikely that 3 different apps would exhibit the same unexpected behavior. But maybe worth a try.

Re-installed coconutBattery as suggested, and now manufacture date is "unknown".
Temperature remains constant at 26.4º (same data is shown by Sensei and Aldente).

Thank you for your suggestion.

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2024-07-02 a las 10.06.41.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-07-02 a las 10.06.41.png
    376.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

edulterado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Still nothing.

Is there any suggestion of third party battery replacements, in addition to OWC and iFixit, that allows the system to monitor battery temperature and aging?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.