Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on automation applications that can perform certain tasks without requiring extensive coding knowledge or dealing with a very complicated interface.

Specifically, I need an application that can observe and record my actions for specific tasks, and then replicate those actions automatically. It's almost like recording my actions and playing them back. I have heard of Keyboard Maestro and some other applications, but I'm not sure if they can do what I need or if I've misunderstood their capabilities.

Here are a couple of examples of what I'm looking to achieve:

1. Open all PNG files in a specific folder on the Desktop, and then use a particular application to compress those files.
2. Open all Word files in a specified folder and replace every instance of "Company Z" with "ABC Co."

These are just a few simple examples. Ideally, I want something that can handle tasks like these efficiently.

Thank you.
Ryan

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
There is probably no way around Applescript & Co on this one IMHO.

Here is a nice solution for 2. But otherwise you can record macros in Word to automate simple tasks.

And here is a one line Applescript solution for 1.:
do shell script "zip /Users/you/Desktop/out.zip /Users/you/Where/Ever/The/Files/Are/*.png"
For this task you can also just use spotlight to select all PNGs in a folder and then compress the files into a zip-archive via the context menu.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
@Slartibart has answered your specific examples. What it shows is that there is no one size fits all automation needs.

For one-off tasks (like your examples) there is (with a bit of web searching) a way to do them - most often using shell scripting or AppleScript.

For tasks which you will want to do frequently or automatically, you do need to look at automation tools:

From macOS, a) Automator (which I mostly use to wrap up shell or AppleScript), and b) Shortcuts.

When that isn't enough Keyboard Maestro https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/ opens up all sorts of possibilities - but has a definite learning curve. There is an extensive user forum which is the main resource for learning how to do things.

Hazel https://www.noodlesoft.com/ allows you to automate tasks to run when files are added to folders. Following your example 1, I would use Hazel to compress a png whenever one is added to the folder. Relatively simple to get started. It also has a good user forum.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
@Slartibart has answered your specific examples. What it shows is that there is no one size fits all automation needs.

For one-off tasks (like your examples) there is (with a bit of web searching) a way to do them - most often using shell scripting or AppleScript.

For tasks which you will want to do frequently or automatically, you do need to look at automation tools:

From macOS, a) Automator (which I mostly use to wrap up shell or AppleScript), and b) Shortcuts.

When that isn't enough Keyboard Maestro https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/ opens up all sorts of possibilities - but has a definite learning curve. There is an extensive user forum which is the main resource for learning how to do things.

Hazel https://www.noodlesoft.com/ allows you to automate tasks to run when files are added to folders. Following your example 1, I would use Hazel to compress a png whenever one is added to the folder. Relatively simple to get started. It also has a good user forum.
@gilby101 I am sorry for the delayed response. I already have Hazel and I downloaded Keyboard Maestro 6 months ago, but haven't got around learning it. My main issue is that age old problem - time! Thank you for your help. Appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.