Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Ultra 3, likely to be released in September 2024 alongside the iPhone 16, is expected to offer fewer upgrades compared to its predecessor, the Apple Watch Ultra 2. Keep reading to learn what the rumored changes are.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-2-hero-feature-blorange.jpg

When Apple Watch Ultra 2 debuted last year, key new features included a 50% brighter display, a faster S9 chip, a "Double Tap" gesture for interacting with the watch without touching the screen, on-device Siri, and increased internal storage. Unfortunately, the next version of the device is unlikely to reach those lofty heights. Here's what the rumors say.

Display Technology

apple-watch-ultra-night-mode.jpg

Initially, it was believed that Apple was working on an Apple Watch Ultra with a microLED display, which would provide increased brightness, better contrast, and improved battery efficiency. However, these plans appear to have been postponed indefinitely. Apple worked on microLED display technology for several years, but the project was scrapped in 2024 and there are no current plans for a microLED Apple Watch in the near future.

On the flip side, Apple is rumored to be adopting new low-energy OLED panel technology in new Apple Watch models to further reduce the power consumption of its always-on display. If that's the case, it's unlikely that Apple would use the technology in its latest Series model without also bringing it to its latest Apple Watch Ultra model.

Design

Apple-Watch-Ultra-Orange-Alpine-Loop-Action-button-220907_big.jpg.large_.jpg

The design of the Apple Watch Ultra 3 is likely to remain largely unchanged. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently said that this year's third-generation Apple Watch Ultra will have "roughly the same look as the original." He has previously suggested a totally redesigned "Apple Watch X" with a thinner case and magnetic bands is coming, but this is likely to be a different model to the Ultra, and he said it would be released "in 2024 or 2025."

New Features

apple-watch-ultra-sandy.jpg

The Apple Watch Ultra 3 is likely to include improved health tracking capabilities such as blood pressure monitoring and sleep apnea detection, aligning with the rumored features of the Apple Watch Series 10 / X.

The blood pressure monitoring featuring will let users know if their blood pressure is trending upward, and will provide an option for users to note what they were doing when hypertension occurred. Specific blood pressure numbers will not be provided, though. Meanwhile, sleep apnea detection will use sleep history and breathing patterns to estimate whether someone suffers from sleep apnea, with the watch suggesting that users contact a doctor if so.

Hardware Updates

apple-watch-ultra-1-1.jpg

The Apple Watch Ultra 3 is expected to have "almost no" new hardware upgrades compared to the Apple Watch Ultra 2, according to Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. His phrasing suggests that the rumored blood pressure and sleep apnea detection features will be machine learning / software-based, relying on existing sensors.

Colors

Apple-Watch-Ultra-Black-Feature.jpg

Apple currently offers the Apple Watch Ultra 2, released in September 2023, in the same natural titanium color as the first-generation model. Prior to launch of the second-generation model, some rumors suggested Apple could release a new darker color option. It didn't happen.

However, we know that Apple originally designed a first-generation Apple Watch Ultra with a dark ceramic back that was never launched. Moreover, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman in 2023 said it was "theoretically" possible the finish could be released for a later model. Previously, the high-end Edition model of the Apple Watch Series 7 was available with a Space Black titanium case.

watchOS 11

watchOS-11-Thumb-2-1.jpg

One thing we can be sure of is that Apple Watch Ultra 3 will run watchOS 11, the latest version of the Apple Watch operating system. Apple previewed the software during WWDC in June, and users can expect a range of updates and improvements, such as additional Smart Stack widgets, Check In for Messages and workouts, a Vitals app to view key health metrics, a Translate app, a new Apple Pay feature called Tap to Cash, training load for workouts, additional workout types, more customizable Activity rings, and more.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra 3: Everything We Know So Far

• Angry
Reactions: travis64

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
And here I thought this might be a good year to upgrade from my first-generation Apple Watch SE, but I guess not. 😩

Last year was the time to upgrade. Apple typically sells the same watch for a few years until it makes a big update (which was last year).

My Apple Series 6 for example, has the same chip as the Series 7, Series 8 and Apple Ultra Watch 1.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
It’s all very nice but still on yearly watch cycles? It’s a watch. And for people into extreme sports or outdoors there are better more durable watches than this.

Apple are going to make another load of shocking e waste considering they drop support for watches over 5 years since last retail sale. So, 6 years support for a watch? 😂

I’m on the cusp of moving back to a traditional watch soon. It may cost more, but at least I am likely to get a servicing on it 10 plus years from purchase.

Im all for advancement and updates but Apple? This is a pile of e waste and makes a mockery of your Mother Nature spiel

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i really hate the design of the Ultra watch. it looks so huge and ugly. good they are staying with OLED though.

i'll not be replacing my S9 any time soon but unless Apple fix the look of the Ultra then I'll be sticking with the S-series watch. i cringe whenever i see someone wearing one and luckily enough i don't think i've actually seen someone wear one irl lol. only youtubers and online aapl fanboys.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Apple has a pattern. Same design for 3 to 4 generations, depending on device (phone, ipad, watch vs laptops)

Once on the third generation, release a black color that everyone wanted from the beginning.

With absolutely no sources at all, I’m pretty sure AWU3 will come in a black color with minimal other changes, since the internal changes were done last year.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
It’s all very nice but still on yearly watch cycles? It’s a watch. And for people into extreme sports or outdoors there are better more durable watches than this.

Apple are going to make another load of shocking e waste considering they drop support for watches over 5 years since last retail sale. So, 6 years support for a watch? 😂

I’m on the cusp of moving back to a traditional watch soon. It may cost more, but at least I am likely to get a servicing on it 10 plus years from purchase.

Im all for advancement and updates but Apple? This is a pile of e waste and makes a mockery of your Mother Nature spiel
if you're buying a "traditional watch" that can only really tell the time then why not just use your phone to check the time lol. i thought the idea of a smartwatch was silly and i basically never wore a watch in my life until i got the apple watch. just buy a cheaper smartwatch lol you don't need to have the top line apple product.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I'm curious about the O2 sensors. If nothing changes hardware wise, this could be a problem with the injunction blocking Apple for using the sensor blood oxygen metrics.
The fact that it still isn't resolved Apple probably has some other approach. The problem is one of the outstanding patents is putting sensors on the wrist.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Sitting here in dialysis at the moment, and heck yeah about the blood pressure monitoring, And I’ll have plenty of data to compare. I just bought an AW9 in Dec.2023 so I guess I’m gonna be wearing watches on both wrists.

Tom

It’s Applecared for 2 years, but oh well.

Reactions: carbphrek

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
if you're buying a "traditional watch" that can only really tell the time then why not just use your phone to check the time lol. i thought the idea of a smartwatch was silly and i basically never wore a watch in my life until i got the apple watch. just buy a cheaper smartwatch lol you don't need to have the top line apple product.

It really depends on what you want out of them. I use my series 6 as a fitness watch first and a smartwatch a distant second. I keep AOD off, no notifications (other than calls and texts), use no apps other than fitness apps, don't track sleep, don't use it for music, don't change my faces, etc..

Works just fine for what I do. My next might be a Garmin, or maybe not...who knows.

Reactions: haydesigner

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
The ultra 2 was hardly an update. They really shouldn’t release watches yearly
They release annual refresh because each consumer is on a different update path. I don’t understand the obsession with expecting a design to constantly change for something to seem new. I know I want to have a device with the best available specs when it’s the year I’m ready to upgrade and not something that was released over 12 months prior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.