Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release so-called "Apple Watch Series X" and third-generation Apple Watch SE models with larger displays in 2024, according to research shared last week by David Hsieh, an analyst at technology research firm Omdia.

f1662570472.jpg

In his research note, Hsieh claimed that the Series X will have 1.89-inch and 2.04-inch display size options, which would be 5% to 10% larger than the Apple Watch Series 8 depending on the case size. These measurements apply to the rectangular display panel, but since the Apple Watch has rounded bezels, the actual viewable area is less.

"Apple Watch Series X" would be similar branding as the iPhone X, but the name is not confirmed. Hsieh is likely using the "Series X" name as a placeholder based on the fact that the model is expected to be the 10th-generation Apple Watch. The original Apple Watch was introduced in September 2014 and released in April 2015.

As for the third-generation Apple Watch SE, Hsieh expects the device to have the same display sizes as the Apple Watch Series 8. If the new Apple Watch SE adopts the same slimmer bezels as the Series 8, this means it would be available in 41mm and 45mm case sizes, compared to 40mm and 44mm for the current Apple Watch SE. He also expects this year's Apple Watch Series 9 to retain the same display sizes as the Series 8.

In line with analysts Ross Young and Jeff Pu, Hsieh believes the next-generation Apple Watch Ultra will feature a larger 2.13-inch display when measured as a rectangle. The current Apple Watch Ultra's display measures 1.99 inches rectangularly.

Article Link: Apple Watch 'Series X' and Apple Watch SE 3 With Larger Displays Rumored to Launch Next Year

DrJR

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2017
Let me guess….it will have blood sugar and blood pressure monitoring.

I used Apple Watch to lose 70lbs and no longer care about either of those on routine basis. By never delivering those they did me a flavor. I had to render them irrelevant the hard way.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Not too surprising that it would follow the iPhone in offering a 10th anniversary model.

I am surprised that model isn’t what microLED is debuting on (current predictions put that in 2025)

I’m guessing this year we’ll get a more efficient chip since a bigger display would hurt battery life, one of the areas the regular watch needs improvement.

jaysapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021

Apple plans to release so-called "Apple Watch Series X" and third-generation Apple Watch SE models with larger displays in 2024, according to research shared last week by David Hsieh, an analyst at technology research firm Omdia.

f1662570472.jpg

In his research note, Hsieh claimed that the Series X will have 1.89-inch and 2.04-inch display size options, which would be 5% to 10% larger than the Apple Watch Series 8 depending on the case size. These measurements apply to the rectangular display panel, but since the Apple Watch has rounded bezels, the actual viewable area is less.

"Apple Watch Series X" would be similar branding as the iPhone X, but the name is not confirmed. Hsieh is likely using the "Series X" name as a placeholder based on the fact that the model is expected to be the 10th-generation Apple Watch. The original Apple Watch was introduced in September 2014 and released in April 2015.

As for the third-generation Apple Watch SE, Hsieh expects the device to have the same display sizes as the Apple Watch Series 8. If the new Apple Watch SE adopts the same slimmer bezels as the Series 8, this means it would be available in 41mm and 45mm case sizes, compared to 40mm and 44mm for the current Apple Watch SE. He also expects this year's Apple Watch Series 9 to retain the same display sizes as the Series 8.

In line with analysts Ross Young and Jeff Pu, Hsieh believes the next-generation Apple Watch Ultra will feature a larger 2.13-inch display when measured as a rectangle. The current Apple Watch Ultra's display measures 1.99 inches rectangularly.

Article Link: Apple Watch 'Series X' and Apple Watch SE 3 With Larger Displays Rumored to Launch Next Year
Can someone please tell me if there are rumours for a new Apple Watch ultra this year?

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I got a refurbished Series 7 last year and gave my OG SE to my wife and we're both still very happy. I really like the newer design so would be great to see it moving to the SE, although I don't see myself upgrade for a few years at least.

That being said, I like my watch for what it is, but I really hope that going forward it will become more dynamic in what information it presents. I usually struggle to find complications I really want permanently on my watch face beyond date and temperature, but I would love it if it could present me with a bus or train schedule on my way to work in the morning or a calendar appointment or reminder when I have one without taking up the screen when I don't.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
This SE3 would replace my SE1 then. I don't need ECG and blood oxygen monitoring. AOD is optional for me.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Let me guess….it will have blood sugar and blood pressure monitoring.

I used Apple Watch to lose 70lbs and no longer care about either of those on routine basis. By never delivering those they did me a flavor. I had to render them irrelevant the hard way.
How did you do that? How did the Apple Watch help?

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Yeah.. if Apple could stop size-creeping the wristwatch like they did their phones that'd be great. My wrist isn't growing.
Unlike with phones, I think the wrist offers much more real estate if not across then along the arm. I am a firm believer that at some point we will see the merging of watches and phones into "phatches" that will have wide curved screens and offering keyboard input, a much better Siri and so on. I am sure Apple and others are looking into that.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
No iPhone 9, no Apple Watch series 9.

you mis-read the article. they are talking about 2024, not 2023 models. The Series 9 (in the same form factor of the 7 and 8) will launch this fall. I personally believe that Apple will also introduce a second darker color option in the Ultra THIS year. However it seems 2024 will see larger changes with new designs for the SE, Series 10, and Ultra "2" or whatever they call it.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Still waiting for a new watch that makes me want to upgrade from my Series 4….
A dying battery and 5 GHz Wi-Fi support were the only things that got me to upgrade last year. With that, I was finally able to shut down the 2.4 GHz SSID for my Apple devices last year.

On a related matter, I thought the ECG sensor just didn't work well with my body/skin, as it could rarely detect when I had my finger on the crown's sensor. But it turns out it was broken on my S4 for years. Didn't know until I tried it with the S8 and it worked perfectly.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
All these rumors for 2024.. What the heck are we getting this year besides an iPhone with solid state buttons?

iPhone 15/15 Pro with USB-C, solid state buttons, dynamic island across all models, titanium on the Pro models instead of stainless steel, faster chip in the 15 Pro and 14 Pro chips in the regular 15, a 15 Pro Max model with a periscope zoom lens, Wifi 6E in the 15 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.