Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid word that Apple TV+ could launch in November priced at $9.99/month, MacRumors has discovered additional tidbits within recent betas of macOS Catalina that offer further insight into how the service will work.

appletvplus.jpg

According to code strings found in macOS Catalina, Apple will apparently allow videos to be downloaded for offline viewing, but with limitations on the total number of downloads, downloads per show or movie, or the total number of times a show or movie can be downloaded. For example, if a user tries to download the same video on multiple devices, the Apple TV app will inform them that "To download this episode of 'The Morning Show', delete it from another device and try again," for example.

If the user reaches the total download limit they will see a message that says "You have reached your limit of [preset number of] downloads." If the user downloads the same video too many times they will see a message like "Download Limit reached for 'The Morning Show' Season 1 Episode 1."

It appears that simultaneous streams will also be limited on Apple TV+ as with most streaming services, including Apple Music. If a user tries streaming on more than the allowed number of devices, they will be informed something along the lines of "To stream this movie, stop watching 'The Elephant Queen' on another device."

The different limits on downloading and streaming content could be based on the type of Apple TV+ subscription, family sharing configuration, or registered devices.

Apple is reportedly spending up to $6 billion on original content for Apple TV+, which will enter a crowded streaming video market apparently just as Disney launches its own service priced at $6.99 per month or $12.99 per month in a bundle with ESPN+ and ad-supported Hulu. Netflix and Amazon Prime are of course two of the other large players, and many other networks and media companies have already launched or will soon launch their own services.

Article Link: Apple TV+ May Support Downloads for Offline Viewing, Limit Simultaneous Streams

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If Disney is $6.99, I think AppleTV+ is going to need to be much lower than $9.99 to compete (even Netflix starts at a lower price point). But I'm thinking for $9.99 Apple is going to have something else up their sleeves to go with this service (something BIG).

I know they might be different markets, but Disney will cover a large part of the market that Apple is looking for. Especially with people checking it out at launch. I know the selection at Disney will have a lot that I want to see (plus some that I might want to see), while (so far) Apple has a bunch of untried content and I'm not certain of any of it.

Last edited:

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Just rewatched the trailer for The Morning Show with my wife & son on ATV, followed by the Snoopy, For All Mankind and the Storytellers trailers. Wife & I are in for TMS, all of us for Snoopy & For All Mankind (wife & I love Ron Moore's stuff going back to TNG & DS9). Son is already pinging me to ask when all this will be on and can we subscribe.

Looking forward on seeing what might be available re family sharing, and surely some limited downloading/offline viewing will be required for commuters, plane journeys and car trips etc.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Another streaming service meh. What would get subscribers would be day & date Hollywood theatrical movies. I’d rather pay for that and watch in the comfort of my own home than deal with rude people at the theaters. Going to the theater just isn’t worth it anymore.

SDJim

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
It's interesting to me that this keeps being referred to as a "crowded marketplace" as if it isn't going to completely replace cable in a decade. I get that part of the benefit for telecom companies is regional monopoly, but people will still have preferences due to unique programming, and many people will be subscribed to multiples (I currently have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime). The multiple subscriptions is no more annoying than surfing channels, honestly, and if service providers will get their heads out of their sand *cough* and sync with the Apple TV app, I would gladly continue to add more subscriptions for more content.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
As someone who travels a lot, offline viewing is very important to me (like on an airplane).

Some services like Epix and Showtime allow downloading content for offline viewing, but I wish more premium providers (HBO are you listening) allowed offline viewing. So, I'm thrilled Apple may allow offline viewing.

Ellis.adam

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
As someone who travels a lot, offline viewing is very important to me (like on an airplane).

Some services like Epix and Showtime allow downloading content for offline viewing, but I wish more premium providers (HBO are you listening) allowed offline viewing. So, I'm thrilled Apple may allow offline viewing.

you can offline view HBO if you subscribe through Apple channels

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
If they fix Up Next on the top shelf and remove those stupid home screen ads from the TV app, I might try this. Otherwise the app goes into my Apple folder at the bottom and gets forgotten.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Not only are they coming, but a lot of these streaming competitors own content they will be pulling from Netflix -- that's the bigger problem.
And have more money.

Most of the content (some guess 2/3) watched on Netflix is licensed. Their original content is sparse and mostly sucks.

Reactions: pipis2010

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Another streaming service meh. What would get subscribers would be day & date Hollywood theatrical movies. I’d rather pay for that and watch in the comfort of my own home than deal with rude people at the theaters. Going to the theater just isn’t worth it anymore.
Yeah I still can't believe they haven't tackled this, it has definitely been discussed if not prototyped with Apple, Amazon, and others. With how much importance the studios assign the opening weekend theater performance, they are missing out on potential revenue from people with more money than time or patience for movie theaters.

What they should be doing is same-day iTunes rental of movies in theaters for $49.99. At 2 weeks, that should drop to $29.99. At 1 month it should drop to 19.99 and remain that way until the normal digital release, and then drop to $5.99.

There could (and should) also be additional DRM restrictions for the in-theaters rented content. Single viewing, allowing only for pause/play throughout but not rewind.

That's fair. It would cost me the same amount to take the whole family to a theater for a movie that we can't pause for breaks. I'd much rather pay that to rent it at home.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
The market for streaming services is getting fragmented. It's going to be costly to put those fragments together.
It is going to become unsustainable for networks to run these streaming services themselves. They take on all of the cost burden of distributing the service and the app, for what smattering of content they own.

They should all be giving up on that idea completely and going all in on Apple TV Channels.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
It is going to become unsustainable for networks to run these streaming services themselves. They take on all of the cost burden of distributing the service and the app, for what smattering of content they own.

They should all be giving up on that idea completely and going all in on Apple TV Channels.
Particularly NBCSN so I can watch the only live content save PBS I'm interested in without paying for a TV package: The Premier League.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Netflix should start worrying.

Apple, Disney and others are coming.

You are an unabashed crazy Apple supporter at times. Netflix should start worrying? Their shows are some of the only ones nominated for Emmy’s and to win. Not even Amazon or Hulu have reached their heights and they’ve been to market for years. At times Netflix has traded higher than Disney itself and is worth over $140b.
[doublepost=1566337486][/doublepost]Apple should have purchased Netflix IMO.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If Disney is $6.99, I think AppleTV+ is going to need to be much lower than $9.99 to compete (even Netflix starts at a lower price point). But I'm thinking for $9.99 Apple is going to have something else up their sleeves to go with this service (something BIG).
Totally agree.

I hope Apple isn't so delusional that it thinks its limited launch catalog can compete against other ad-free services like Amazon Prime Video ($8.99/month), Disney+ ($6.99/month), HBO Now ($14.99/month), Hulu ($11.99/month), and Netflix ($8.99 to $15.99/month).

Bundling has to be a big part of it, where you effectively get 3rd service free with a purchase of 2 services. For instance, $19.99/month for Apple Music Family ($14.99/month value), Apple Arcade ($4.99/month value), and Apple TV+ ($9.99/month value). And maybe throw in 200GB iCloud ($2.99/month value).

And I really hope Apple will offer yearly discount, such as $199.99/year for aforementioned $19.99/month bundle. Otherwise, many folks will subscribe only when new shows or episodes arrive then cancel immediately after binge watching (what many folks do with CBS All Access with Star Trek Discovery or HBO Now with Game of Thrones or Westworld).

xalea

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Soon it will cheaper to subscribe to cable again instead of subscribing to multiple streaming options.

Or, piracy will become more popular as subscribing to half a dozen streaming services to watch one or two shows on each becomes too expensive.
For me it already is cheaper. I cut the cord, did streaming, etc. Went back to cable (was able to negotiate a better price than I had previously). Pretty hilarious these idiot companies are fragmenting and shooting themselves in the foot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.