Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has shared updated iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 adoption figures, revealing how many iPhones and iPads were running those software versions before WWDC.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

These adoption numbers are based on iPhones and iPads that transacted on the App Store on June 9, the day before WWDC began, according to Apple.

The statistics are as follows:

• 77% of all iPhones were updated to iOS 17.
  • 68% of all iPads were updated to iPadOS 17.
  • 86% of all iPhones introduced in the last four years were updated to iOS 17.
  • 77% of all iPads introduced in the last four years were updated to iPadOS 17.

These will be the final iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 adoption figures given that Apple has since made the first betas of iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 available to developers.

Apple revealed that 81% of all iPhones were updated to iOS 16 as of May 30 last year, so iOS 17 adoption peaking at 77% of all iPhones as of a later June 9 date this year means that iOS 17 adoption was not quite as high as iOS 16.

All attention now turns to iOS 18, which will be publicly released in September.

Article Link: Apple Reveals How Many iPhones Were Running iOS 17 Before WWDC

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Since making updating to the most recent OS optional in iOS16, I'm wondering how that will affect adoption rate in the long run. 86% adoption rate for newer devices is still really good imo

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Ha I don't believe that! Looks like purely marketing numbers for making fun of Android again.
How 'bout my OG iPad 1st gen, iPad Air 1 and 2, iPhone 4?
Those still work, I am pretty sure many people also have them lying around somewhere.
I don't believe everyone "shrinked" old devices with a press like in Apple's recent ad.
Also I am not planning to update my SE either, it is still on 16

TheMountainLife

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
Expected. If I wanted to continue to use certain apps like banking/authenticators/corporate apps or Apple peripherals you're forced to update. I was on iOS 16 until I purchased the AW U2 and forces you to update.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Apple needs to stop with the yearly updates and just provide new features when they are ready. It's beyond stupid that we need to wait a year for tinted apps and so on. Just fix and update things as they are ready and not iOS 21, 32, 45 and so on. This would also cut down on the bugs introduced year over year, some of which are never fixed.

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Apple needs to stop with the yearly updates and just provide new features when they are ready. It's beyond stupid that we need to wait a year for tinted apps and so on. Just fix and update things as they are ready and not iOS 21, 32, 45 and so on. This would also cut down on the bugs introduced year over year, some of which are never fixed.
Adding stuff quietly doesn't make so many headlines as one large event that everyone must wait for a whole year.
Seems their marketing team are not as dumb as their ads look like

Reactions: SFjohn

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
Since making updating to the most recent OS optional in iOS16, I'm wondering how that will affect adoption rate in the long run. 86% adoption rate for newer devices is still really good imo
It was also optional to go to 15, and 16. With 15 apple offered 1 security update for 14 before pulling it and forcing you to update, with 16 (I think 15 as well) they offered 2 security updates before forcing you to update to 17.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
It's interesting they use percentages, and people think that the adoption rates aren't that high. Imagine if they put this into real device numbers to see how many are using it, I believe there are almost 1.5 billion iPhones out there. Probably 50 million old ones in kitchen drawers too!

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
It was always optional.

In a sense, but with 15 they began marketing it, and offering a couple security updates for devices staying behind intentionally. Realistically they still only support it for a few months.

Peter_O

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2024

Apple has shared updated iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 adoption figures, revealing how many iPhones and iPads were running those software versions before WWDC.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

These adoption numbers are based on iPhones and iPads that transacted on the App Store on June 9, the day before WWDC began, according to Apple.

The statistics are as follows:

• 77% of all iPhones were updated to iOS 17.
  • 68% of all iPads were updated to iPadOS 17.
  • 86% of all iPhones introduced in the last four years were updated to iOS 17.
  • 77% of all iPads introduced in the last four years were updated to iPadOS 17.

These will be the final iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 adoption figures given that Apple has since made the first betas of iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 available to developers.

Apple revealed that 81% of all iPhones were updated to iOS 16 as of May 30 last year, so iOS 17 adoption peaking at 77% of all iPhones as of a later June 9 date this year means that iOS 17 adoption was not quite as high as iOS 16.

All attention now turns to iOS 18, which will be publicly released in September.

Article Link: Apple Reveals How Many iPhones Were Running iOS 17 Before WWDC
First time on this forum.

As one of the 77% who updated to iOS 17 this year, I'm happy to hear iOS 18 is coming, because since updating to iOS 17.5.1 a couple of weeks ago the battery life on my 1TB iPhone 13 Pro (with Battery life showing 100%) has crashed to the point where the device is no longer usable as a 'mobile' phone.

Hopefully, Apple will soon release some kind of interim update (17.5.2?) that fixes the issue, but for now I'm stuck with an expensive landline/paperweight.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that in future I will turn off ‘Automatic Updates' in my settings menu!

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
…that’s exactly what they’re doing by releasing features throughout the year in the .X updates. Have you not been paying attention?

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Still living in iOS/iPadOS 16 land. In my youth I would have been at the forefront of software upgrades (maybe even ambitious enough for betas). But these days I treasure stability and usually don't upgrade to the next version of iOS/iPadOS until just before the latest release, so I'm always one version behind. I'll probably make the jump after 17.6 drops lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.