Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobioguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Went to the Apple Store to check out the new iPads as I still have a 10.5 inch pro. Played with the new Apple Pencil pro but had difficulty with the barrel squeeze and selecting from the pop ups. After much trouble it seems it does not expect you to be left handed?!?
Tried with my right hand and it worked as it should. When holding in my left hand the far options on the right hand side exited rather than letting me select them.
Any other left handers figure out how to master this or know if there is a left hand setting hidden somewhere to fix the issue ?

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I'm in the same boat as you. I still have the 10.5 (desperately trying to make up my mind which new model to buy) and am left-handed.

I don't own the new iPads or pencils yet, but have been to the shops to try out the new models and pencils so often, that I seem to be able to select things from the far right relatively easily now. In the beginning I couldn't but didn't make a connection to handedness. There may be an official setting, but, as someone who's just temporarily trying the display models, it does seem to be a skill that you pick up over time.

Hopefully someone who actually owns one will be able to give you a definitive answer though.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I am lefthanded and just got my APP yesterday. I am not sure what you are seeing. I am not having any difficulty selecting the far options on the right-hand side of the popup.

Assasin238

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024
Went to the Apple Store to check out the new iPads as I still have a 10.5 inch pro. Played with the new Apple Pencil pro but had difficulty with the barrel squeeze and selecting from the pop ups. After much trouble it seems it does not expect you to be left handed?!?
Tried with my right hand and it worked as it should. When holding in my left hand the far options on the right hand side exited rather than letting me select them.
Any other left handers figure out how to master this or know if there is a left hand setting hidden somewhere to fix the issue ?
I have the same issue :D. I recently bought the new iPad Pro and when I open for example notes, squeeze for more tools, and then try to tap on the 3 dots, well it does not work xDD, and the color palette works but hardly to tap. But on the right hand, everything works fine.

Reactions: cobioguy

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
mmm.. just tried this left handed and it worked fine (same as right handed).

When tapping on the 3 dots does it move slightly larger when hovering? It does for me and selecting it the next menu pops up. Did all this in Notes.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Just bought a new iPad Air with Apple Pencil Pro. Left handed : exact same issue.

It's very hard to select tools, like the pointer is actually misaligned. Have to aim way higher than you normally have to to select.

No issue with my right hand.

(Honestly I think the Pencil should have a setting to make left handed the default. If I squeeze when I'm a bit out of range, it often shows the right hand tool.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Neofox

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2024
I am left handed and have zero issues... not sure what we are making differently..
EDIT: after playing with it, the three dots are annoying to get some times

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.