Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated the iOS 17 page on its website to indicate that its AirPlay feature for hotel room TVs has been delayed until next year.

airplay-hotels.jpg

Apple originally said the feature was "coming later this year," but it now says it will be "coming in an update in 2024." Apple did not provide a more specific timeframe, but the feature should be added in an iOS 17 update in the first half of next year.

The feature will allow iPhone users to scan a QR code on their hotel room TV to establish an AirPlay connection, allowing them to wirelessly stream videos, photos, and music from their iPhone to the TV. Google already offers a similar feature on some hotel TVs, allowing guests to stream content from their smartphone via Chromecast.

Apple in June said Holiday Inn owner IHG Hotels & Resorts would be one of the first hotel companies to adopt the feature, while LG announced that it would be one of the first hotel room TV manufacturers to support the feature.

Article Link: Apple Delays iOS 17's AirPlay in Hotel Room Feature Until 2024

Last edited:

theguy56

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
I figured this feature would have been a successful as the “gym equipment integrated with the health app” from years past. Years later and I have yet to see it.

Apple assumes big time that entire industries will integrate with them quickly and it’s almost never the case.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
This seems like one of those GymKit type features that’ll notionally exist but that I forget that they exist since it depends on other businesses’ choices and not mine. I don’t see myself choosing a hotel based on “does it support AirPlay in Hotel Room” the same way I might choose a car based on its CarPlay support.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I didn't know this would be a feature. It's actually going to be quite complicated to implement, because there are a lot of issues. Some obvious ones:
  1. will the connection be wifi direct? It'll have to be, to be secure. You don't want TVs on the guest-accessible network.
  2. will the TV also be connected to an internal hotel network?
  3. what kind of telemetry/logging will be available?
  4. if something goes wrong, what can the front desk do about it?
If it's not wifi direct and some sort of airdrop-type thing, well, that'll be harder for the OEM to implement.

But it's a good idea. I've been to a number of hotels where someone else's crews are in Netflix etc.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
I could see Hilton and Marriott adding this on quite easily. They already have the equipment in rooms.

But my suspicion… the management of said equipment is contracted out to a vendor and it would be up to the vendor to update the software to support this feature.

Reactions: kc9hzn

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Even on premium internet in Hotels this will still suck. I stay at them all the time and the WiFi is spotty and most of the time not very good.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
I didn't know this would be a feature. It's actually going to be quite complicated to implement, because there are a lot of issues. Some obvious ones:
  1. will the connection be wifi direct? It'll have to be, to be secure. You don't want TVs on the guest-accessible network.
If it's not wifi direct and some sort of airdrop-type thing, well, that'll be harder for the OEM to implement.

But it's a good idea. I've been to a number of hotels where someone else's crews are in Netflix etc.
Usually the TVs in guest rooms are just monitors. They have an IP-based media box that connects to a head unit in the server room and property management system, enabling ordering room service, putting your name on the TV, etc.

I think, IIRC, an AC Hotel (Marriott) I stayed at had AirPlay in the room and it had you connect to a special wifi network. It was unique to your room and disappeared when the AirPlay session was ended.

I’d assume those media boxes have their own in-built diagnostics for IT to troubleshoot. And all of that IT work is usually contracted out, not done by hotel staff.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I could see Hilton and Marriott adding this on quite easily. They already have the equipment in rooms.

But my suspicion… the management of said equipment is contracted out to a vendor and it would be up to the vendor to update the software to support this feature.

Yes, just before C19, many Hilton properties I stayed at moved from all using ATT to using local-ish MSPs for the hotel WiFi, and the front desk didn't know any different? Was able to track down support numbers for most of them.. just had to get creative.

Reactions: V.K.

PeterKeller

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
That would be great, because Chromecast seems to be everywhere and it's frustrating not to be able to use hotel TVs with iPhone/iPad. Sometimes you can get to the HDMI connection, but not so much anymore.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Usually the TVs in guest rooms are just monitors. They have an IP-based media box that connects to a head unit in the server room and property management system, enabling ordering room service, putting your name on the TV, etc.

I think, IIRC, an AC Hotel (Marriott) I stayed at had AirPlay in the room and it had you connect to a special wifi network. It was unique to your room and disappeared when the AirPlay session was ended.

I’d assume those media boxes have their own in-built diagnostics for IT to troubleshoot. And all of that IT work is usually contracted out, not done by hotel staff.

I just stayed in a room that was a full-on smart tv. The days of locked down iptv stuff is over, apparently. It was a marriott, but i'm not sure which sub brand it was.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I figured this feature would have been a successful as the “gym equipment integrated with the health app” from years past. Years later and I have yet to see it.

Apple assumes big time that entire industries will integrate with them quickly and it’s almost never the case.

I've seen a few treadmills at the local YMCA that has it.

As for hotels, I stayed at an Omni about a month ago and it still had a radio with a 30-pin interface on top.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004

The hotel staff don't even know the phone number for you to call for support half the time.

• Haha
Reactions: flexwithmarius

_Dubs_

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
I stayed at a hotel in Vancouver that had I believe a LG TV and it had AirPlay and it was awesome. AirPlay'd Bluey from Disney Plus while I was able to surf Yelp and plan the day.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Hope this will be ready about the same time the Drivers license feature is. HOLDING MY BREATH

originalsk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
The best new iOS feature would be to introduce existing features outside of US. There is so many old features still not available in my country and list is growing every year, which is super annoying. Even 12 years after release we dont have localized Siri in my country, nor new Apple Maps layout, no Scribble support or translation to our language in iOS Translate app, Apple News or Apple News+ is also not available and list goes on. Its hard to get excited about future iOS releases anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knavel

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hah. Not a million years will I ever count on this feature being available at a hotel I'm staying at.

If I need Airplay in a hotel I'm bringing an Apple TV and an HDMI cable.
I just bought a new TV with AirPlay integrated so I have to assume in a few years most hotel rooms will have TVs with AirPlay as manufacturers like LG, SONY, Samsung, etc. make AirPlay a standard feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
This seems like one of those GymKit type features that’ll notionally exist but that I forget that they exist since it depends on other businesses’ choices and not mine. I don’t see myself choosing a hotel based on “does it support AirPlay in Hotel Room” the same way I might choose a car based on its CarPlay support.

How about the zero-sign-on feature for tvOS?

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007

Not wifi direct. It connects you to WiFi network infrastructure.

TV is probably on WiFi (possibly ethernet if they want to preserve wifi spectrum) and it probably just enables a dynamic firewall rule that your phone can connect to the TV and nothing else on the local network.

Telemetry and logging are none. It’s just Airplay.

Front desk probably calls an IT service provider who then just reboots the TV if something goes wrong or asks you to troubleshoot with steps like disconnect from WiFi and rejoin the network, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.