Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the new iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus in Yellow, Apple today announced that the Emergency SOS via Satellite feature will be available in Austria, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Portugal later this month.

Emergency-SOS-via-Satellite-iPhone-YT.jpg

The feature allows iPhone 14 models to connect to a Globalstar satellite, enabling users to send text messages to emergency services when outside the range of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. Apple warns that foliage or other obstructions can result in messages taking longer to send or failing to send, and satellite connectivity might not work in places above 62° latitude. The service is free for two years after activating an iPhone 14.

Emergency SOS via Satellite first launched in November in the U.S. and Canada and requires an iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, or iPhone 14 Pro Max. The service became available in France, Germany, Ireland, and the UK in December.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPhone 14's Satellite Feature Launching in Six More Countries Later This Month

Last edited:

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
My guess is that each country must work with Apple to hook up to a local emergency response system. I'd love to see Apple make the messaging part of the system available now and then have the EMS parts come in later. If I'm stuck I can message a friend to call EMS.

Reactions: catean

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
I wonder how much they will charge for this in the future.

I'm going to take a guess and say with each new version of a phone they will automatically bundle it for free for two years. I bet it will also become part of the Apple One services package for no additional price.

I think the only time this will be a single paid service is if you don't upgrade every two years and don't pay for a services bundle.

iLoveDeveloping

Suspended
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
May seem like a stupid question but apple hasn’t really mentioned it. If I come from Ireland (which has satellite sos available) and travel to Spain in summer. Does the service not work? Surely my phone connects to the satellites still, is it that there is no Emergency services to connect it to on the ground or would it go through? Seriously question..

Robin Bonathan

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
At this time
May seem like a stupid question but apple hasn’t really mentioned it. If I come from Ireland (which has satellite sos available) and travel to Spain in summer. Does the service not work? Surely my phone connects to the satellites still, is it that there is no Emergency services to connect it to on the ground or would it go through? Seriously question..
at this time I dont think spain has satellite coverage. 112 emergency number works most place as coverage is fairly good, except the remote areas.

Reactions: sos47

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I hope that Apple will add Sweden this year. In the north Sweden, my operator don't have good coverage. And that area is famous for trekking. It's good to be disconnected sometimes but it feels safer when you know that calling for help isn't a problem.

ummario

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
I'm impressed! We will have this in Portugal? Now we only miss Siri in native Portuguese!

Reactions: sos47

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
thank you apple for germany because most of the country hasn’t 4g or 5g.
(no sarcasm)

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I love how Apple releases a new feature starting with the US and slowly expanding to the rest of the world in the next 20 years or so.
Setting up a system like this is not easy. It involves coordination with numerous countries emergency response systems. They will, of course, start with the US because they're an American company.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I hope that Apple will add Sweden this year. In the north Sweden, my operator don't have good coverage. And that area is famous for trekking. It's good to be disconnected sometimes but it feels safer when you know that calling for help isn't a problem.
They note that reliability above 62 degrees latitude is not gauranteed, so it may not be useful in northern sweden anyway.

Reactions: zecanard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.