Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I was wondering if I there is a benefit to move my HP 8600 Office Jet Pro from a 1GB Ethernet switch on our network, to a 2.5GB switch in another house location (we have 2.5GB internet service)? I think the answer is "No", I printed out the HP Network Configuration page for the printer, and it said Link Configuration is 10TX - Half. That's 10MBs half duplex, correct? So I am assuming the printer doesn't even take advantage of a full 1GB connection.

Thanks for your help!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So I am assuming the printer doesn't even take advantage of a full 1GB connection.
That is correct. Most likely 10/100 Mbps onboard Ethernet adapter in the printer. You probably get better throughput with wireless connection.

Reactions: donawalt

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Related but not concerning your question as it was answered in #2.....but:

If I were to guess, you pay for 2.5gbe but don't/can't use it. Do you have 2.5bge+ switches? How many devices and types in the house?

Your ISP modem/ONT probably supports multigig 100mb/1gbe/2.5gbe. I would guess your switch has auto negotiated at 1gbe. ISPs will not check beyond their eqpuipment.....

What is your switch and or gateway/router?

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@rezenclowd3 I am fully using 2.5G service! I have 2 switches, a 1G (Netgear GS348) and a 10G (Netgear XS508M) both unmanaged. Devices are plugged into one or the other based on their speed capability, which is why I was checking on the one printer here. By the lights the 2.5G switch is transmitting at 2.5G. My router (Orbi 960) supports 2.5G. My two satellites get 2.5G as well, as they are connected via Ethernet Cat 6 cable to the 2.5G switch.

Once I went to this setup and the 2.5G service, more modern devices like iPhones and iPads also got a bump in WiFi speed. Instead of being ~ 900Mbs, they will get up to 1.4G in the same room. In addition, I have Cat6 wired to most rooms in the house. So laptops plugged in to Ethernet get 2.5G. The Mac I am typing this on just got this when I ran speed test:

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 6.57.08 AM.png

So we are indeed enjoying 2.5G service!

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
@donawalt Glad to see!
I've had too many clients pay to go faster than their equipment and needs are capable of, beacause ISPs want the upsell rather than discovery of client needs.

What I do for clients as well is to setup a historical throughput monitor to show them how often they use "high speed" and how much data they use and when. It also lets me see what their needs are to which devices.

I myself sadly only have 1Gbe down and 150Mb up, but I do have 100gbe as a backbone in my home, and it branches off from there to 25gbe, 10gbe and 1gbe. 2.5Gbe is too expensive when I can just go 10gbe or even 25Gbe. GETTING those speeds is another issue all together for the HW builds and software tweaking.

Playing with infiniband as well instead of ethernet for ***** and giggles on another homelab test bench. The true future is in NICs with full HW offload like your enterprise switches. Don't ask what my power usage is JUST for networking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.