Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTinaBruce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hi, I have a 2009 iMac I planned to give to my mom who only surfs internet and email. I had a old 250 GB SSD so no expense. I planned to use OpenCore Legacy Patcher but to do so need High Sierra. I started with Snow Leopard, then Moutain Lion, and now El Capitan but when trying to upgrade to High Sierra I get gray screen with a zero crossed out. I know people are using OCLP on 2009 iMac so how do I get High Sierra installed.

Thanks,
Chris

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're going to give this to your mom, I recommend that you DO NOT use OCLP.

I don't use it myself.
But from what I've read in this forum, it's a "high-maintenance" piece of software.

Unless you're willing to provide A LOT of "tech support" for your mom, better set her up with the last supported version of the OS. That will run better for her.

Reactions: gilby101

ChrisTinaBruce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
If you're going to give this to your mom, I recommend that you DO NOT use OCLP.

I don't use it myself.
But from what I've read in this forum, it's a "high-maintenance" piece of software.

Unless you're willing to provide A LOT of "tech support" for your mom, better set her up with the last supported version of the OS. That will run better for her.
That's odd. I have OCLP on 2010 MBP & 2014 rMBP for over a year and the both have performed perfectly.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Boot from High Sierra USB installer, open Disk Utility, select menu View > Show All Devices, and post screenshot.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Hi, I have a 2009 iMac I planned to give to my mom who only surfs internet and email. I had a old 250 GB SSD so no expense. I planned to use OpenCore Legacy Patcher but to do so need High Sierra. I started with Snow Leopard, then Moutain Lion, and now El Capitan but when trying to upgrade to High Sierra I get gray screen with a zero crossed out. I know people are using OCLP on 2009 iMac so how do I get High Sierra installed.

Thanks,
Chris
Recently downloaded Ubuntu Desktop 24.04 and installed on a usb stick.
Had an old 2007 iMac 24” Intel Core 2 Duo iMac7,1 that was stuck on El Capitan and open core was not compatible because of an old CPU and was ready to retire it and didn’t want to run windows 10, well I stuck in that usb stick and to my surprise it booted up Ubuntu 24 LTS and was able to install it and now I have the latest Firefox and Libre office and more.
Also tried it on an old 1.3ghz Celeron laptop and sure enough it works too.
So there’s life for those old Macs and PCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: iMac2019

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Keep in mind that all browser support is ending or has ended for High Sierra this September.

Reactions: gilby101

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
Early 2009 does not support High Sierra. I would suggest going with dosdude's High Sierra or Mojave patcher - very easy to use/low maintenance.

Then use chromium legacy or sealion browser.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with Snowlover.

I'd suggest dosdude1's "Mojave patcher".
Yes, it's "a patch".
But... it's actually pretty stable once installed.

The "Mojave Patcher" utility even has the ability to download Mojave for you (look in the "tools" menu).

This will get you "a little farther along" in terms of overall compatibility with the up-to-date web on an older Mac.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there

Thanks,
here is the link to DosDude Mojave ohly patcher.
I went back to using only OSX mountain lion for ALL my computing needs including the internet last week,
im sure anyone else can use that as well.

Reactions: Snowlover
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.