svg
swift
wiki
xml
yaml

Defenestrar

Senator
Subscriptor++
Sorry, I was being a smart alec. I haven't seriously coded in a text-based language in years, or (decades for some of the ones I listed).

The only one I occasionally use these days is LabVIEW, which is a graphical language and results in code that looks like this:
Spagetti-Code-in-LabVIEW-1024x658.png

Although that's a nightmarish example.

I do think it's awesome how code now displays as a much more readable format.

Python:
#My very first Python Program - written right here
print('Hello world!')

Aurich

Creative Director
Ars Staff
Ooh, I love how it appends the language automatically too, didn't know it would do that. Even handles */ commenting, which is nice.

C:
void flynnFlicker() {          // basic sign lit, with the N flickering
  int letterN = RING_END + 3;  // location of letter N
  fill_solid(leds + RING_END, NUM_LEDS - RING_END, CHSV(10, 255, 255));  // orange red for FLYNN letters
  /*
  if (random(20) == 0) {                                                                // 5% chance of full letters doing a small pulse
    fill_solid(leds + RING_END, NUM_LEDS - RING_END, CHSV(10, 255, random(200, 255)));  // orange red for all letters
  }
  */
  if (random(5) == 0) {  // 20% chance of N flicker state changing
    // generate a random brightness, and then clamp it to hard on or off at low and high values
    int lightN = random(255);
    if (lightN < 100) {
      lightN = 0;
    }
    if (lightN > 200) {
      lightN = 255;
    }
    leds[letterN] = CHSV(10, 255, lightN);
  }
}  // end flynnFlicker

That's the lighting code for this:

MilleniX

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
Sorry, I was being a smart alec. I haven't seriously coded in a text-based language in years, or (decades for some of the ones I listed).

The only one I occasionally use these days is LabVIEW, which is a graphical language and results in code that looks like this:
Spagetti-Code-in-LabVIEW-1024x658.png

Although that's a nightmarish example.

I do think it's awesome how code now displays as a much more readable format.

Python:
#My very first Python Program - written right here
print('Hello world!')
LabVIEW does have a textual representation. I know people who program it that way.

Mat8iou

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Wait, where is VB6?

Kidding ;)
Having no VBA OTOH does seem an odd omission - like it or not, it remains the default macro language in a lot of apps - and not just MS ones.

Meanwhile I'm still using AutoLISP to create tools at work.

But - having something is still a lot better than nothing - which was the previous situation.

Does anything have such a vast list of languages as Notepad++ though (I'm assuming Emacs probably would).

Are there still people out there using Visual FoxPro?
Intrigued to also see Wavefront .OBJ files on that list - Way back in 1997, the first release of Java with the Hot Java browser had a demo file showing 3D wireframes rotating. I wanted to try to use this to provide 3D illustrations of some concepts for my Uni dissertation. The input files for it was .OBJ format and all I could output was DXF from AutoCAD - so I reverse engineered the relevant parts of both formats (this was a time when I had no internet access at home) and wrote a converter in Qbasic. It wasn't elegant, but it worked and I got my little spinning wireframe models. I don;t thnik I've ever touched (or even come across) an OBJ file since though.

Reactions: jeffdill2

jeffdill2

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Having no VBA OTOH does seem an odd omission - like it or not, it remains the default macro language in a lot of apps - and not just MS ones.

Meanwhile I'm still using AutoLISP to create tools at work.

But - having something is still a lot better than nothing - which was the previous situation.

Does anything have such a vast list of languages as Notepad++ though (I'm assuming Emacs probably would).

Are there still people out there using Visual FoxPro?
Intrigued to also see Wavefront .OBJ files on that list - Way back in 1997, the first release of Java with the Hot Java browser had a demo file showing 3D wireframes rotating. I wanted to try to use this to provide 3D illustrations of some concepts for my Uni dissertation. The input files for it was .OBJ format and all I could output was DXF from AutoCAD - so I reverse engineered the relevant parts of both formats (this was a time when I had no internet access at home) and wrote a converter in Qbasic. It wasn't elegant, but it worked and I got my little spinning wireframe models. I don;t thnik I've ever touched (or even come across) an OBJ file since though.

VFP is the language I cut my programming teeth on, so it still holds a special place in my heart. 😄

Reactions: steelghost