Upcoming Product Management Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Hello - next week I'm interviewing for a Product Management role at a large multi-national tech company. The position falls under the Dir of Engineering and I'll be interviewing with a Principal Engineer. I'm pretty nervous about this because, while I have a very technical background, I've been doing Product Management for the past 8 years and also was never a developer, I was in infrastructure, system design, cloud, etc. I appreciate any advice or insights into what I should prepare for. Many thanks!

Semi On

Senator
Subscriptor++
It wouldn't be bad to brush up on the technical basics. If you're interviewing with a principle engineer right out of the gate, that suggests to me that the company has a very technical expectation of their PdMs. Maybe the principle engineer is primarily there to see if you are someone they can work with personally, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of quizzing.

I sit on a lot of the technical interviews for developers at my company, and every once in a while I'll be asked to do a technical interview for a non-technical role. Product owner, manager, scrum master, etc. Usually when they're going to be on a team where other engineers are the customer.

In all cases it is about making sure you don't completely give up as soon as the discussion turns in that direction, rather than testing actual knowledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.