RISC-V

fitten

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
So... I watched a little of this video today, didn't get far into it, 10 minutes or so and while RISC-V sounds interesting, I guess I was thinking it was going to target more mainstream/commercial aspects as well. It sounds like this is going to be much more custom/embedded application targeted. Given that there are lots of optional bits and customizable bits, it seems like it would be a bit more complicated for multiple EOMs to provide processors for a number of 'mainstream' companies for assembly. I guess ARM has some of that as well and RISC-V could follow that same path where it becomes part of a vertical like (just for example) Microsoft making computers. I'm not sure how RISC-V will compete on power and such to beat ARM, though.

I also looked it up on Wikipedia (I've glanced at it a few times) but there is still so much that's "OPEN" in the work. Seems like the embedded and non-embedded versions aren't directly compatible, either (different number of registers). Not sure I'm hip with their (non)exception model, either. Looking at the programming model of the register set, looks like nearly every register of the 32 is earmarked for something... what do you use to do actual calculations? ;)

redleader

Ars Legatus Legionis
I guess ARM has some of that as well and RISC-V could follow that same path where it becomes part of a vertical like (just for example) Microsoft making computers. I'm not sure how RISC-V will compete on power and such to beat ARM, though.

It is basically ARM but without the licensing fees. So great for custom accelerators, Chinese companies worried about exposure to trade wars, and academic projects.

I also looked it up on Wikipedia (I've glanced at it a few times) but there is still so much that's "OPEN" in the work. Seems like the embedded and non-embedded versions aren't directly compatible, either (different number of registers).

That is normal for this kind of thing. ARM does it too.

Looking at the programming model of the register set, looks like nearly every register of the 32 is earmarked for something... what do you use to do actual calculations? ;)

Aside from register zero (which is always zero), the other 31 registers are all general purpose and can be used for whatever.

fitten

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
I guess ARM has some of that as well and RISC-V could follow that same path where it becomes part of a vertical like (just for example) Microsoft making computers. I'm not sure how RISC-V will compete on power and such to beat ARM, though.

It is basically ARM but without the licensing fees. So great for custom accelerators, Chinese companies worried about exposure to trade wars, and academic projects.

I also looked it up on Wikipedia (I've glanced at it a few times) but there is still so much that's "OPEN" in the work. Seems like the embedded and non-embedded versions aren't directly compatible, either (different number of registers).

Looking at the programming model of the register set, looks like nearly every register of the 32 is earmarked for something... what do you use to do actual calculations? ;)

Aside from register zero (which is always zero), the other 31 registers are all general purpose and can be used for whatever.

Yeah, I think it was my misconception that this was going to be (at least also) targeted for a new platform for consumer computers. And yeah about the registers, that's pretty standard. I was commenting more of the diagram on wikipedia (below) where all the registers have a 'name'/roll except for like six of them t1 through t6 ;) And now that I look at it... why are they calling registers x0-x32 rather than r0-r32 ;)

YRqFKlV.png

redleader

Ars Legatus Legionis

Yeah, I think it was my misconception that this was going to be (at least also) targeted for a new platform for consumer computers. And yeah about the registers, that's pretty standard. I was commenting more of the diagram on wikipedia (below) where all the registers have a 'name'/roll except for like six of them t1 through t6 ;) And now that I look at it... why are they calling registers x0-x32 rather than r0-r32 ;)

That table is showing the ABI names. The reason you'd go with RISC-V for a custom project rather than roll your own is that you can use the existing software ecosystem and not have to write your own tools, so you probably also are interested in being binary compatible with those tools. But the hardware doesn't care, so if you want to write a compiler where all function arguments are passed on the stack (or you're porting some existing toolset that works differently), you can rename x10-11 to something else, or you could make the caller responsible for x18 and rename it to t7, etc.

And just to be clear, even within the ABI you can still use almost all of those registers for whatever you want, you just have to follow what the "saved by" column says. So if you need x8 in your function, since it says saved by callee, you can push it to the stack and then use it like a normal register. Just pop it back right before your function returns so nothing notices you took the value out.

fitten

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Yes, I'm familiar with assembly programming. It just seems like there's a lot of "open" stuff in their chart for there to be an "existing software ecosystem"... including the talk about custom and extensions. I'm really not trying to poopoo on it, just trying to understand what their goal is... granted, I was misunderstanding a bit starting out - thinking that it was aiming for a general purpose commodity processor to potentially compete with Intel/AMD. Of course, the other obvious advantage is that its open rather than paying licensing fees for ARM, etc. I was thinking back to my experiences in embedded computing (not tiny stuff, but stuff like from Sky, CSPI, Mercury, etc.) where they'd pull off-the-shelf parts like PPC 403, 603e, 603ev, etc. to make various boards and wondering if there were groups making off the shelf processors (like Snapdragon) that others would use rather than buy an ARM, etc.

Np1ErYN.png

redleader

Ars Legatus Legionis
Yes, I'm familiar with assembly programming. It just seems like there's a lot of "open" stuff in their chart for there to be an "existing software ecosystem"... including the talk about custom and extensions.

Ecosystem in this case is the tools, compilers and libraries, not applications. These are embedded processors and custom accelerators. Software compatibility doesn't matter at the application level because that stuff is all custom anyway. You're choosing RISC-V because you have some niche where there isn't an off the shelf option.

Megalodon

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
That seems like ABI not hardware? Passing/returning by register is common in ABIs and is done in both x86-64 and aarch64.

Yes, I'm familiar with assembly programming. It just seems like there's a lot of "open" stuff in their chart for there to be an "existing software ecosystem"... including the talk about custom and extensions. I'm really not trying to poopoo on it, just trying to understand what their goal is...
That just seems like reasonable practice for outlining future functionality in such a way as to not cause backwards compatibility problems. Taking steps early on like reserving opcode space can save a lot of trouble later on.

granted, I was misunderstanding a bit starting out - thinking that it was aiming for a general purpose commodity processor to potentially compete with Intel/AMD.
That is a possible outcome, but it's also not necessary right this second to be feature complete wrt Intel/AMD. They can defer that until it's actually needed, which seems reasonable because when it's needed there will be concrete requirements to design against.

Of course, the other obvious advantage is that its open rather than paying licensing fees for ARM, etc. I was thinking back to my experiences in embedded computing (not tiny stuff, but stuff like from Sky, CSPI, Mercury, etc.) where they'd pull off-the-shelf parts like PPC 403, 603e, 603ev, etc. to make various boards and wondering if there were groups making off the shelf processors (like Snapdragon) that others would use rather than buy an ARM, etc.
To whatever extent an open source project can be said to have a business model, I believe RISC-V's value proposition is hedging against IP risks with ARM and other architectures, not a small point with ARMH being aquired by Nvidia. I've also seem comments attributed to someone from AMD where they mention they have dozens of cores embedded across their products where they get IP blocks from various vendors. One might have an ARM core, another might have a MIPS or PPC core, etc. This all ends up paying royalties and drags in different tool chains to support each. Rather than being antagonistic to AMD, RISC-V allows them to consolidate their vendors and various internal teams on an ISA with all the same tooling and no royalties. I believe a lot of hardware companies potentially benefit from that use case. Obviously those cores will be tiny and not useful for servers/PCs, but it's a solid foundation to justify real hardware implementations.

There's also a lot of interest from China which is understandable given US steps to cut their access to CPU IP from eg ARM. I think that's where the beefier implementations are starting to come from. For example Alibaba recently open sourced a relatively high performance RISC-V implementation.

Looking forward, once we hit The Last Node and we aren't redesigning things every couple years I think a lot of people are going to be asking why pay these giant margins/royalties to ARMH/Nvidiarm/AMD/Intel when we can do a transition once and be able to use a royalty free implementation with only minor updates for 20+ years. This is possibly not that useful in consumer facing devices but I think it potentially acts like Linux as a common infrastructure layer.

Hat Monster

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Looking forward, once we hit The Last Node and we aren't redesigning things every couple years I think a lot of people are going to be asking why pay these giant margins/royalties to ARMH/Nvidiarm/AMD/Intel when we can do a transition once and be able to use a royalty free implementation with only minor updates for 20+ years. This is possibly not that useful in consumer facing devices but I think it potentially acts like Linux as a common infrastructure layer.
Another way to think about The Last Node is that the silicon on your desk or in your pocket is becoming less and less important. Qualcomm has already given up on trying to get the Snapdragon 800 series in mainstream devices (Nexus 5, Mi 8, One Plus 3T...etc.) and has made a yield harvested 700 series for them.

AMD's doing chiplets. Intel's... well, I doubt Bhatt or Swan knows what Intel is doing. TSMC is giving you as many variants on 16FF (which was a FF version of 20 LPP...) as it can damn well get away with, SAQP and/or EUV be damned. GlobalFoundries is sitting this one out and Samsung thinks that the sexy NAND volume is quite good enough, thank you very much.

It's difficult to rent you a semiconductor without retaining possession of it and the world is moving toward a disenfranchised rental model for everything. Most of what we do is moving to run on someone else's computer. It's a far higher lifetime cost and so a greater revenue stream.

It looks like Intel is putting significant resources into developing RISC-V cpus for supercomputing. From the article:

Intel and the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC) have announced a €400 million investment in a new lab dedicated to developing RISC-V processors.

The facility will focus on building RISC-V-based CPUs to power high-performance computing (HPC) systems, as well as specialized chips for artificial intelligence and autonomous vehicles.

The objective is to enable zettascale-class systems, roughly 1,000x more powerful than the fastest supercomputers today, a milestone Intel is aiming to achieve within the next five years.

Ubuntu is adding support for a new Risc-V board. It's probably not something you want to use for your main PC and looks geared towards machine vision and learning. From the article:

The Starfive VisionFive is a currently $179 USD RISC-V board that is intended to run full-blown RISC-V Linux distributions. The board comes in two varieties with 4GB or 8GB of system memory, powered by a dual-core SiFive U74 RV64 SoC @ 1.0GHz, NVDLA deep learning accelerator engine, Tensilica-VP6 Vision DSP, and a neural network engine. The board also has WiFi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.2, HDMI output, four USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and powered via USB-C or from the 40-pin GPIO header.

It looks like you can buy the 8 GB version is available on Amazon for $219.99.

Wheels Of Confusion

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
For a preview of what getting it up and running is like and what kind of performance to expect, Explaining Computers did a review of it a couple of months ago.
YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PoWAsBOsFs
He's running the supplied Fedora image, though. He does give it a head-to-head against a 4GB Pi 4, though.

For a preview of what getting it up and running is like and what kind of performance to expect, Explaining Computers did a review of it a couple of months ago.
YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PoWAsBOsFs
He's running the supplied Fedora image, though. He does give it a head-to-head against a 4GB Pi 4, though.
Thanks for the link. It's not snappy but it looks useable. I looked for stuff on using the machine vision and AI capabilities but couldn't find anything. Maybe they'll start appearing after it's out a while.

It'll be interesting to a) see it exist, and b) see its performance.
I agree. The specs almost seem to be too good for the price. I hope it will exist. There also might be some interesting ARM boards since the Qualcomm exclusivity agreement ends next year and new players are planning to enter the windows on ARM market.

hobold

Ars Tribunus Militum
Transitioning a software base is always the hard part. Apple's ARMs have special hardware assist for all the old 'x86 apps, but they still invested in an unusually good emulator on top of that, and they still don't support modern 'x86 ISA extensions.

RISC-V is a fresh start, so in a sense they don't need any legacy emulator at all. But on the other hand that means their best chance is the open source ecosystem. And there they are competing against the whole spectrum from tiny ARM microcontrollers all the way up to AMD's Epyc monsters. Plus whatever Intel may be able to bring once they return to form again.

Of course it is good to have one more option in RISC-V. But betting on it is, IMHO, risky.

Reactions: continuum

reimu240p

Smack-Fu Master, in training
There's supposed to be an interesting RISC-V board arriving in Q3 of 2024. It's a mini-ITX board with a 16 core SOC (12 P cores and 4 E cores) and Imagination graphics. It also has a dedicated NPU and will have up to 64 GB of RAM. It's being announced as a "PC class" board.
Very interesting, but I have 2 questions:
1. where are the PCIe slots for a gpu?
2. will it have the weird intel ME crap (or similar) on it?

continuum

Ars Legatus Legionis

their actual announcement says only one PCI-e slot, not slots (singular, not plural) and yeah, looks like all the details available are very limited, we may have to wait til they say more.

I would have no clue any firmware level management tools, why do you ask? I know nothing about Milk-V, do you know more about them than the rest of us and have a reason to expect such?

reimu240p

Smack-Fu Master, in training
-link-

their actual announcement says only one PCI-e slot, not slots (singular, not plural) and yeah, looks like all the details available are very limited, we may have to wait til they say more.

I would have no clue any firmware level management tools, why do you ask? I know nothing about Milk-V, do you know more about them than the rest of us and have a reason to expect such?
Good to know that they'll be at least 1 PCIe slot. As for the intel ME talk I'm not too knowledgeable outside of it being a security risk.

Good to know that they'll be at least 1 PCIe slot. As for the intel ME talk I'm not too knowledgeable outside of it being a sec

Transitioning a software base is always the hard part. Apple's ARMs have special hardware assist for all the old 'x86 apps, but they still invested in an unusually good emulator on top of that, and they still don't support modern 'x86 ISA extensions.

RISC-V is a fresh start, so in a sense they don't need any legacy emulator at all. But on the other hand that means their best chance is the open source ecosystem. And there they are competing against the whole spectrum from tiny ARM microcontrollers all the way up to AMD's Epyc monsters. Plus whatever Intel may be able to bring once they return to form again.

Of course it is good to have one more option in RISC-V. But betting on it is, IMHO, risky.
Google is promising Android support for RISC-V and ARM increasing their royalties and licensing fees could push manufacturers in that direction. This front page article is about Qualcomm announcing a RISC-V SOC for wearables. Android phones and Chromebooks could come next. The SOC on the board I posted about seems like it would easily have enough cpu power for a Chromebook.

Sure, the zero license fee for RISC-V can make a huge difference at the low end, percentage wise. But once you are past a couple of hundred bucks for a nice chromebook, such license fees are probably lost in the noise. Even more so for high end stuff, when there is a ton of other hardware surrounding the CPU.
ARM currently bases their charges on the price of the SOC but they are looking at changing that to a fee based on the price of the final product. Even so, the success of RISC-V at the high end will probably depend on if they can significantly improve on the performance per watt of current options. A price advantage at the low end gives them a beachhead from which they can make further inroads into the market.

Wheels Of Confusion

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Jeff Geerling recently posted a video of another RISC-V SBC, this one using the JH7110 (same chip as the StarFive VisionFive 2) in a Raspberry Pi CM4 form factor. He goes over some of the rough spots in the OS image, the lack of documentation, and does some benchmarking to compare it against the performance of a Pi 4 and 5.
I think it's pretty illustrative of where things stand right now with RISC-V general purpose processors relative to ARM designs.

Which is not to say that the ARM SBC space itself is stellar right now outside of the Pi; software is still spotty for anything else regardless of the ARM SoC used. Drives home how important strong software support is for virtually anything.

teleos

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Which is not to say that the ARM SBC space itself is stellar right now outside of the Pi; software is still spotty for anything else regardless of the ARM SoC used. Drives home how important strong software support is for virtually anything.
Yes, the whole RISC-V ecosystem is still way behind the ARM one at this point, for example I was a little bit surprised to see Ampere is almost usable as a desktop system already.

On the other hand, I'm pretty hopeful about Tenstorrent on the high-end, a younger version of myself wouldn't mind working there.

teleos

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
The RISC-V ecosystem is way behind ARM but it is rising at a fast rate. Here's a 192 core data center cpu that is supposed to come out in 2024 The article says it's a chiplet based design and that the company will have special hardware acceleration chiplets for different domains in the future.
I'd really like to see RISC-V do well, but somehow the vibe I get from Ventana makes me feel a little uncomfortable (too much hype vs. real product), hope I'm wrong on this.

I'd really like to see RISC-V do well, but somehow the vibe I get from Ventana makes me feel a little uncomfortable (too much hype vs. real product), hope I'm wrong on this.
Hopefully the cpus are not vaporware. They also need to get the software lined up to support them. If they really want to release next year they need to get out some development hardware ahead of time to get everything working. If they can do AI processing at lower power than the current big cpus there will be a market for them.

fitten

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++

hobold

Ars Tribunus Militum
So... this just popped up... PCIe card with 6000 RISC-V cores on it with the goal of more than 360,000 cores. Of course.... vaporware, but...

The smaller they make individual cores, the more they can fit. Going down this route, we can arrive at the Connection Machine. Again.

Reactions: fitten